Charagh Didn't Really

So there's this Charagh Din shirts ad, where an icky-looking firang in a rather terrible shirt is chased around some exotic foreign city by some anorexic blonde, who supposedly wants to get her hands on his shirt. Some copywriter somewhere must've thought it's a terribly clever way of saying, "Look, she wants his shirt, not him, his shirt! That's how good these shirts are - women want them!"

Other notable Charagh Din ads include one where a woman sleeps with a guy just so she can get him out of his shirt, which she then wears and runs away*.

Anywho, just when I was coming to terms with the sheer tackiness of these commercials, I see this other ad for Charagh Din XXL sized shirts. It's a montage of shots featuring a bald, heavy man wearing a series of bizarre shirts, playing various musical instruments with great gusto and a cheery smile.

The thin guy gets the girls. The fat guy gets a lute.

I know advertising isn't about social messages and all, but come on.


* Yes, yes, I'm sorry for my kind, are we done now?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've been reading your blog for about..erm..2 days now...and I have realized that you, albeit constructively, kinda sorta bother me. And that's coz you word thoughts that I have "thunk" but never said...
So, having said that: should I be BORED or INTRIGUED (coz hey, I am definitely not surprised or enamored here) at the COINCIDENCE?
Anonymous said…
Is THIS a JOKE??? Seriously, you "approve" feedback????? LMAO!

"Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval."
Veda said…
Anonymous: Bored, intrigued, compelled to leave a comment - it's really your call. I'll just ask you to do what I ask all other "Anonymous" readers to do - pick a nickname next time.

PS: Thanks for reading. I love knowing that I get to people.
. said…
I think Charagh Din shirts were made exclusively for all my Marwari friends in college. I don't know what it is about shirts with dragons, floral patterns and extremely large collars that makes it such a favorite for them. The look is completed with footwear that is neither leather shoe nor sandal, but somewhere in between.
R said…
Hee hee.

Maybe you'll write about Docomo soon. *rubs hands and waits*

Popular Posts