Pros and Cons

I was asked to present two side of a debate. This is what I came up with, on a lark. FYI, my personal views are not as extreme as either of these. But that's another post...


A: Marriage is necessary for the furtherance of the species.
B: No, sex is necessary for the furtherance of the species. Marriage is just the most inconvenient way to do it.
A: You need to get married because you need someone to share your life with.
B: I already have people I share my life with. I call them friends.
A: So you're not afraid of dying alone?
B: Who says marriage will prevent that? Haven't you heard of divorce? Death of the spouse? Abduction of spouse by aliens?
A: But, it's a life goal, isn't it? You fall in love, get married, have children, build a family.
B: It's not my life goal. Besides, you got the order wrong. You fall in love, get married, put on weight, get a home loan, get a car loan, get a personal loan, have children, get an educational loan. And FYI, you can do ALL those things without getting married. 
A: How about sex?
B: What, now? With you? Probably not.
A: I meant if you're married you get to have regular sex, right? There are no dry spells. Ever.
B: Are you familiar with the phrase "Not tonight honey, I have a headache?"
A: Haven't ever had to hear it. You seem to be quite familiar with it though...
B: Very funny. I'm saying, marriage doesn't guarantee sex. Or commitment. Or loyalty. Or security.
A: It's not supposed to! If you want security, get a lock.
B: Look, admit it, the only reason people in this country marry is so that they can avoid the "When are you getting married?" question.
A: And so they can have sex without being labelled immoral.
B: You're assuming that all post-marital sex happens with the spouse. 
A: So basically you hate marriage then?
B: Not really. Wedding food rocks.

Comments

Mystique said…
marry me. this rocks.
DewdropDream said…
"B: Very funny. I'm saying, marriage doesn't guarantee sex. Or commitment. Or loyalty. Or security.
A: It's not supposed to! If you want security, get a lock. "

Well if it doesn't then why give the lecture about finding someone to share your life with, someone who'll watch out for you, ... you know, loyalty, committment, security ...

I wonder if the marriage mafia is actually able to answer the question "What is the point of marriage?/Why should one marry?"
Shreya said…
Oh woman, do I love you :D
R said…
What I like the most about weddings are the photo albums. The alcohol being a close second.

Bah, can't wait to read your views, dude. :D
mohitparikh said…
marriage is so outdated a system...(or may be i am just trying act hip)
Syber8 said…
Nice one..its almost turning into a social obligation..MARRIAGE??? pffft...

But on the flip side, what i also see is its an institution where two people are forced to live and share their lives together..which eventually builds character...i say this because, i have a few uncles and aunties whom are still single in their 50s n 60s and man, they r weirdos..

at the age of 27,my point remains... MARRIAGE??? pffft!!

Popular Posts